Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Juggling for God




I remember a school assembly where the kids told a story of a wandering clown who wanted to offer something to God. in the end he discovered that his gift of juggling was what gave God pleasure and others too! it was a really cheesy play - but I still remember it.

Juggling is a fun and visual performance art that lends itself to attracting listeners. It requires a lot more practice and skill than your average magic trick though.

I sometimes show people a "Learn to Juggle" book and then skim read it it in front of the congregation and proudly announce that because I have read the instructions f the book I am a qualified juggler!

This statement is often challenged. I am asked to prove that I am a juggler by showing that I can put the instructions into practice. So I go through the instructions again and start with one ball (pausing at the end of some simple one ball tricks as if I have finished thus prompting the audience to demand more evidence!). Finally I am juggling away with three balls. While I am still juggling I quote James 1.4. "Do not be just hearers of the Word only but be doers of the word."

This leads onto a discussion or presentation of what James was talking about.

It's a great lesson and illustration and people remember it.

Have fun

No comments: